Global Entrepreneur Week 2017 Recap
The Palouse Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
Business-Friendly And Startup-Ready
Global Entrepreneur Week 2017 – 4 event venues, over 5 days, in 3 communities on the Palouse showcased 20 innovative business ideas distributed across the value-added agriculture, science and technology, recreation and human health industry sectors. Open to the public, these events brought to light – the Palouse is a great place to start a business!
Innovations On The Palouse
The Global Entrepreneur Week 2017 first public event began Saturday afternoon (11/11/2017) with “Innovations On The Palouse” hosted at the Palouse Discovery Science Center in Pullman, WA. Ten local businesses showcased innovations in science and technology, value-added agriculture, recreation, and healthcare, including Virtual Reality learning systems, a drone-based service for traditional volunteer search and rescue units, and a team from SEL (Schweitzer Engineering Labs) teaching visitors fun ways vegetables could be used as batteries to power lights.
Ag Technology Startup Stories
Monday evening (11/13/2017) in Todd Hall on the Washington State University Pullman campus, Carson Business College’s Center For Entrepreneurial Studies hosted “Ag Technology Startup Stories” panel discussion from three successful businesses. Semplice a sports drink made from a byproduct of the Greek yogurt production is still creating and testing new flavors. Phytelligence, a provider of clean, true-to-type plant material to growers currently has over 40 employees in multiple locations. The third startup story, rather than being about a business, was about an animal science graduate’s journey from employee to GISP (geographic information systems) certified entrepreneurial manager in Washington’s Wine industry.
Fall Business Showcase
Tuesday afternoon (11/11/2017) at Fairfield Inn & Suites in Moscow, ID the Palouse Knowledge Corridor hosted the “Fall Business Showcase” including nine local entrepreneurs with businesses centered around science and technology, value-added agriculture, human health, and recreation. Attendees heard presentations from two local microbreweries, a restaurant beginning their own franchising model, a dog-friendly coffee shop, a smoothie shop catering to coed athletes, a chocolatier whose creations “dance” when dropped in a glass of champagne, a subscription-based medical practice that passes wholesale price savings to its subscribers, a stay-at-home-mom who created and sells her own line of women’s handcrafted jewelry online, and a nanotechnology company’s product that replaces internal combustion engine gouges with diamond-hard fillings that last 40,000 miles.
Who’s Who In Colfax
Wednesday evening, SEWEDA hosted “Who’s Who In Colfax” an in-depth presentation by Colfax-based nanotechnology company, TriboTEX at the Bettie Steiger Community Enrichment Center. The unique characteristics of their product and need for additional storage facilities were followed by a question and answer session.
2017 Palouse Entrepreneurial Innovators
- Blue Collar VR (Brian Cleveley: email@example.com)
- Blaze: Secure The Shelter VR (Karin Hatheway-Dial: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dancing Chocolates (Vicki Leeper: email@example.com)
- Drones (Pullman Christian School, High School students)
- Freed Outfitters (Katherine and Jennifer Hervey: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hunga Dunga (Graham Lilly: email@example.com)
- Kea Bird Identification App (Chris Duke: Chris@kea-learnbirdsthroughplay.com)
- Main St. Squeeze Juice and Smoothie (Destiny Sternod: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Moscow Brewing Company (Andy Severson: email@example.com)
- Old Man Games (Kevin Grote, Gabriel Garcia)
- Patient Experience (Becky Highfill: Becky.Highfill@pullmanregional.org)
- Phytelligence (Dr. Amit Dhingra: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rants and Raves (Tim Kinkeade: email@example.com)
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (Kate Wilhite: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Semplice (Dr.Derek Jiwan: email@example.com)
- Speech Sounds Simplified (Keri Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ste. Michelle Wine Estates (Jenn Triquet Smithyman: email@example.com)
- Story Family Medicine (Jenny Story: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Naughty Dog Coffee Shop (Steven Mislosky: email@example.com)
- TriboTEX (Dr. Pavlo Rudenko: firstname.lastname@example.org)