Latah County Ready For Business
Business Development Resources
Latah county, in the northern Idaho panhandle, is business-friendly with robust support from organizations and area businesses, eager to help startups and long-term successes alike. Latah county, and it’s neighbor over the state line to the West, Whitman county, comprise a region known as “the Palouse”. Home to two research universities (University of Idaho and Washington State University), “the Palouse” is also an entrepreneurial seedbed with established businesses, startups, and students, aided by organizations like those below.
- City of Moscow – home to a vibrant downtown business district, bicycle friendly and relatively close to the University of Idaho
- Farmer’s Market – open Saturday mornings (8 a.m. – 1 p.m.), May through October with locally grown produce and other items.
- Chamber of Commerce – member benefits
- Promotion of member businesses to the community
- Information presented at monthly Membership Luncheons
- Education during events like the Annual Legislative Tour to Boise
- Networking during Chamber events and newsletter and social media new member introductions
- Urban Renewal Agency – promotes sustainable economic growth
- Entrepreneurial Resources – connecting you with the City of Moscow’s Economic Development specialist
- Business Retention & Expansion – proactively providing one-on-one site visits and follow-up
- Site Selection/New Business Attraction – finding solutions for locations, labor, logistics, economic incentives and new customer acquisition
- Alturas Research & Technology Park – Moscow’s first urban renewal project with fully serviced lots for research and technology businesses
- The University of Idaho – Office of Economic Development – accelerates stable regional economic development using governmental and academic resources
- Partnership for Economic Prosperity – connects business, governmental, and educational leaders to strengthen the Latah County economy
- Idaho Small Business Development Center – no-cost business coaching, connections, education, and information aimed at improving Idaho’s economy
- Palouse Knowledge Corridor – more than 20 companies from five industry sectors working to increase regional economic growth
- Be The Entrepreneur Bootcamp – a 5-day intensive entrepreneur training, mentoring, networking and showcasing of ideas before sponsored community events with cash prizes
- Business Clusters – interconnected clusters of companies, suppliers, and universities helping the Palouse compete nationally and globally
- Clearwater Economic Development Association – spearheading economic development efforts in Clearwater, Idaho, Latah, Lewis, and Nez Perce counties
Latah County Businesses with Regional, National and Global Clients
- Keylock Solutions – after 30 years running a real estate appraisal business in Moscow, Idaho evaluating properties in Idaho and Washington, and teaching Farm and Natural Resource Appraisal at the University of Idaho, Ruby Miles Stroschein hired an Ag Econ student in 2003 to develop software that streamlined appraisals. In 2010, the first cloud-based agricultural and rural land comparable database powering Keylock Solutions was launched.
- Emsi – located in Moscow, Idaho, Emsi has served as economic data advisors to leaders in higher education, business, and community development for over 15 years. Teaming up with CareerBuilder, Emsi created a network of data connecting students, educators, and employers. Emsi serves clients in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.
- BioTracking – established in 1992 to develop and market a pregnancy test for cattle (BioPRYN®) from facilities in Moscow, Idaho. Additional test kits for sheep, goats, horses, bison and wildlife soon followed to serve clients nationwide.
- Alturas Analytics – founded in 2000, a bioanalytical contract research organization focused on LC-MS/MS bioanalysis, animal health, analysis method development and validation, and dose solution analysis serving clients nationwide.
- Comtech AHA – located in the Alturas Research & Technology Park for over 20 years, developing and marketing application specific integrated circuits (ASICs), boards and intellectual property core technology for communication systems applications.
- National River Supply – established 1972 in Moscow, Idaho, a 100% employee-owned globally recognized leader in boating, kayaking, search & rescue, boats, frames, life jackets, apparel, and accessories shipped worldwide from the central warehouse in Moscow or warehouses and distributors in Canada, Chile, Spain, France, United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Russia.